Skip to main content

Honest Question

     This might sound ridiculous but I have been asking around to no avail.

    My friends, who are around the same age as my early-thirties self, are of no help when posed this question. I ask, and everything gets quiet as we sit in the silence, waiting for the magic answer. It doesn't come. I have asked women older than me who can give me no concrete direction. No light bulb moment. So I ask you, blogosphere: 

At what point, do you feel like a real grown-up? 

     When my mom was my age, I was around...10. When I was 10 I  thought my mom knew all the things. If my Mom didn't know then my dad (who hadn't celebrated his 35th birthday yet) DEFINITELY knew. No question. I had complete faith in my parent's decision making and parenting skills. They had it together. They were adults.

     You would think that with 4 children I would feel like an adult, but here is the truth: I have no idea what I am doing. I am surrounded by other people with kids who also have no idea what they are doing. Here we are, just trying to figure this thing out together. Wingin' it. Googling it. Reading about it. Praying through it. 

So my question is this: do you feel like an adult? Or do you feel like a huge impostor, like I do?

Comments

  1. Hahaha this is so true! At 32, there are sooo many times when I just think to myself, "I need an adult!" Quickly followed by, "Oh crud, I guess that's me..."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who's your Daddy?

Reading books with Anthony is always fun. He is becoming so hilarious. When we get to certain pictures he points and yells "Daddy" over and over again.  First, here is an actual picture of my husband: (that's me in there too) This is Daddy #1. Yup, It's Ramses from "The Prince of Egypt." I can see the resemblance! If Ian had hair, he would certainly wear it in a ponytail with gold embellishments. The medallion around his neck is something he would wear too.  And he is always shirtless, especially when in a grueling horse race! This Daddy could beat up your daddy any day! Here is Daddy #2, from "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" This must be a different side of Daddy than Ramses portrays. This Daddy is pensive, with kind eyes. He is daydreaming about something wonderful (probably mommy) and always has something nice to say. I think this one looks a lot more like my husband! So because when we get to the end of this "Brown Bea

Dinner time???

So for once in my life, I was so excited to have a nice dinner ready by the time Ian got home. He told me he would be home at 5pm. I called him at 5:30 and found out he stopped somewhere to pick something up that he was looking for on craigslist. The following conversation happened: "Where are you?"  "Picking up that vcr/dvd player we talked about." "What?!?! WHY!!! DINNER HAS BEEN READY SINCE 5!" "Well, it is 5 mins away from work so I figured it would -make sense to just get it now."  "Ugh , well now dinner is cold"  "You guys can eat without me if you want"  "No. Are you kidding me? I did this for you! We aren't eating without you!" "Ok, so what do you want to do?" "What do you mean 'what do I want to do?' I JUST WANNA BE MAD ABOUT IT!!!" *I laugh because as I yelled that last part, I caught wind of my complete irrationality.*  "hahahaha, ok well you can do that. OR

I never thought I'd ever...

Me and Ian were talking about how much lives have changed since we had kids. Not only the way we spend our time together as a family, but also our mentalities. For example, I was talking to a friend of mine who either just got a tattoo or was thinking about getting another, or both. I can't remember. Anyway, I have been wanting to get a tattoo, so I asked her how much she thought a small one would cost. She said "oh, not that much! Maybe 60 bucks?" I immediately said "Oh, well that's 3 boxes of diapers, which is too much".  I realized then, that I convert the cost of pretty much everything to the amount of diapers I could get for the same price. haha! I never thought the biggest commodity in my life would be a jumbo box of Target brand diapers, or that this exchange rate would help curb my appetite for things that I want, but don't need to buy. An example would be a Nintendo Wii. I have wanted one for a couple of years now. But it costs like10 boxes