Skip to main content

Doozys, Close Calls and Gratitude

     Phew. Second post this year. We have officially made it, ladies and gents. So, upon further reflection on whether or not to resurrect Mommy's Potpourri from the blog grave, I thought of a few things:


  1. I could use a hobby. I'm sure you have seen those articles talking about how adult women need to have hobbies and stay true to themselves and pursue their passions. Right? (Or do those only get sent to me by people who know that I have no life outside of my house? Ha!!) Blogging is fun. I like it. I could totally be a blog hobbyist. A bloggy-ist, if you will.  
  2. Does blogging about my life inside of my house count as a hobby?
  3. Ok so how concerned should I be that I have four kids and zero hobbies?
  4. How much does a ukulele cost?
  5. What if I put my learning how to play the ukulele in my blog that is now only MOSTLY about things that happen inside of my house (because I will play said ukulele outside, in the park)?
     Now that I feel really wonderful and positive about myself and what I am doing with my life, I suppose I will record the musings of this week, which if you haven't gathered by the title... was kind of a roller-coaster.
     We started out this week at -- you guessed it, home. Usually Sunday mornings you will find us at our favorite place on earth, meeting with our church family to worship. However this week we stayed home because everyone was sick.
     Oh no, none of my children were sick. Everyone else was. That's right. I kept everyone home because everyone else we go to church with had been sick.  Yes, that sounds bananas. My husband made me very well aware of that, but I just could not take the prospect of all 4 of my kids getting sick this week after having such a wonderful asthma-mostly-under-control-and-zero-hospital-stays-so-far winter. A little voluntary quarantine never hurt anyone, right? Don't worry, I will bring this up with my psychiatrist.
     Monday afternoon, Samantha gave us a pretty good scare by choking on a coin. Thankfully, Anthony noticed right away what was going on and Ian got it out of her throat but everyone was pretty shook up about the whole situation. Luke especially was devastated at the thought of Samantha getting hurt or dying. He had an awful night processing what happened and I didn't know what to do except for listen to him and rub his back. It was scary. I couldn't pretend that it wasn't. Really thankful to God for protecting her.
     Tuesday, Ian and I decided it was time to get a new couch. We packed the kids up and headed to the bargain basement of a big furniture store. The kids ran around like semi-wild animals sitting on every piece of furniture they saw. We only lost track of Luke twice. They had fun. Do you remember doing stuff like that when you were a kid? We know now that it is a painfully mundane task but so exciting when you're 6 years old. The joy of these kids loose in the basement of a furniture store was mind boggling. It really made me want to be a kid again.
     Anyway, we found a great couch! Problem was, when we tried to move the old one out, we couldn't figure out how. And then when we finally figured out how to get it out (which included sawing it in half), we couldn't figure out how to get the new one in. It was rainy and the couch was getting kind of wet and I was getting upset because the answer obviously was in some math equation I was unaware of, and my husband was really irritated that he couldn't just put a hole through the doorway to get the dang thing through. It was awful.
     Finally, between a window being removed and my Dad coming to help we got the couch inside of the house. Now we just have to rearrange things so the living room doesn't feel so lopsided. hahaha.
     Overall though, the week went well.  I started this Spring cleaning challenge and cleaned out my refrigerator. It's a big deal. I also got refrigerator shelf liners. Those are THINGS yall. Am I the only one who didn't know about fridge shelf liners? The gross gunk my kids spill will go on THOSE and I won't have to spend hours washing it off  3 (ok, maybe more) months after the spill happened! Life. Changing.
     Also I have been doing pretty good on my big daily goals. My first goal is to get in the Word every day. I am reading through the book of Joshua and have been so blessed by the study that Jen Wilkin put together. What a resource and blessing. I have been desiring to know the Lord more, truly know Him and He has used this wonderful resource to teach me. So thankful.

Goal 2 is to read read read. Less time on my phone, more in a book. With the kids, by myself, whatever. I want to model good use of time for them and I think a good use of time is spent reading good books. This brings me to my latest goal. I am on facebook much less. I still post pictures here and there, but I no longer scroll through to update myself on everyone else's lives and opinions and sort through all the junk in the world of social media. It is mentally draining for me to continue to do that. I just have much more important things to use that energy on. I want to model good habits. And honestly since I have spent less time on my phone, I have been having better days with my kids, my patience has been better, I have been dealing with stressful situations a bit better, and I just don't feel like mental mush. Clearly, breaking this addiction is a good choice for me. NOW I have time to blog! hahaha. You're welcome.

Well, another week is in the books. Everyone is well, everyone is happy and I am a thankful, imperfect wife and momma. Until next time, Blogosphere!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's your Daddy?

Reading books with Anthony is always fun. He is becoming so hilarious. When we get to certain pictures he points and yells "Daddy" over and over again.  First, here is an actual picture of my husband: (that's me in there too) This is Daddy #1. Yup, It's Ramses from "The Prince of Egypt." I can see the resemblance! If Ian had hair, he would certainly wear it in a ponytail with gold embellishments. The medallion around his neck is something he would wear too.  And he is always shirtless, especially when in a grueling horse race! This Daddy could beat up your daddy any day! Here is Daddy #2, from "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" This must be a different side of Daddy than Ramses portrays. This Daddy is pensive, with kind eyes. He is daydreaming about something wonderful (probably mommy) and always has something nice to say. I think this one looks a lot more like my husband! So because when we get to the end of this "Brown Bea

Dinner time???

So for once in my life, I was so excited to have a nice dinner ready by the time Ian got home. He told me he would be home at 5pm. I called him at 5:30 and found out he stopped somewhere to pick something up that he was looking for on craigslist. The following conversation happened: "Where are you?"  "Picking up that vcr/dvd player we talked about." "What?!?! WHY!!! DINNER HAS BEEN READY SINCE 5!" "Well, it is 5 mins away from work so I figured it would -make sense to just get it now."  "Ugh , well now dinner is cold"  "You guys can eat without me if you want"  "No. Are you kidding me? I did this for you! We aren't eating without you!" "Ok, so what do you want to do?" "What do you mean 'what do I want to do?' I JUST WANNA BE MAD ABOUT IT!!!" *I laugh because as I yelled that last part, I caught wind of my complete irrationality.*  "hahahaha, ok well you can do that. OR

I never thought I'd ever...

Me and Ian were talking about how much lives have changed since we had kids. Not only the way we spend our time together as a family, but also our mentalities. For example, I was talking to a friend of mine who either just got a tattoo or was thinking about getting another, or both. I can't remember. Anyway, I have been wanting to get a tattoo, so I asked her how much she thought a small one would cost. She said "oh, not that much! Maybe 60 bucks?" I immediately said "Oh, well that's 3 boxes of diapers, which is too much".  I realized then, that I convert the cost of pretty much everything to the amount of diapers I could get for the same price. haha! I never thought the biggest commodity in my life would be a jumbo box of Target brand diapers, or that this exchange rate would help curb my appetite for things that I want, but don't need to buy. An example would be a Nintendo Wii. I have wanted one for a couple of years now. But it costs like10 boxes