Skip to main content

Hello Again!

Wouldn't it be nice if I could update this blog more than once a year? Ha! Well we have been busy and I forget passwords to things all the time, so ...

Anyway, wanted to update a little bit about our homeschooling journey. Last year we did Five In a Row and loved it. It was a little more teacher prep than I preferred, but well worth it. Anthony and I still have conversations about things we learned last year using that curriculum.

This year, after learning of our newest addition to be added to our family in February, I wanted to switch to a curriculum that was still literature based, but more "put together" if you will. So we went with Heart of Dakota.

There are some wonderful things about this curriculum so far. Of course the emphasis of books, and the gentle approach are what I love most about it. I also love that I can open my teacher's guide 20 minutes or so ahead of time, and be ready for the morning with very little prep.

The theology is a little moralistic (like so much children's Bible lessons are) but it's ok because I enjoy explaining the "why we do" behind the "what we do". Keeps me on my toes. A lot of the time I just forget their Bible lesson and do my own.

Anthony really enjoys this curriculum. He loves the subject matter, and finds the books really interesting. We read a biography of William Henry Harrison that he wouldn't let me stop reading until it was finished. I love that he is really engaged in the material. I also love that I have been catching him reading big books by himself. He has been reading Winnie the Pooh (late at night when he is supposed to be asleep, but hey I'll take it) and tells me about it almost every morning. He also gets The WSJ Sports Newspaper in the mail every week and devours it as soon as it comes. Anthony is also very interested in circuitry, which is something I never knew anything about before. I couldn't even tell you how a light switch worked before 3 months ago. hahaha.

I tried doing the preschool curriculum with the younger boys, but it just wasn't a good fit so I scrapped it. They do these little coloring/workbooks that they love and I just work with them individually throughout the day. Luke doing really great with Explode the Code workbooks! He is on #2 now and is working on blending consonants. He read most of "Green Eggs and Ham" last week and was really proud of himself. I love that he is loving learning. More than anything, he loves to be outside in the fresh air. He would live outside if he could. I am thankful for our backyard because there are many days now that we just can't get to the park.  

One thing I have learned about myself this year? Boxed curriculum makes things easier, but is really really difficult for my personality. I just don't fit in a box. It's not even that I don't fit in one, I actually really really hate boxes. haha. I find myself rewriting this great curriculum because I can't really handle being told how to do things. Not sure if this is a heart issue or not, but it's true. In some ways I love not having to think too much especially because we are really busy preparing for the baby, etc. But in other ways I hate that I am not the one preparing or piecing together these things.

So, I am trying to find easy and inexpensive ways to bring other things in that I want them to learn. Art, music, different cultures, customs and languages. I feel like everything is so dry right now. Maybe I just need to be patient and keep plugging along but maybe I should just follow my gut.

We will see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's your Daddy?

Reading books with Anthony is always fun. He is becoming so hilarious. When we get to certain pictures he points and yells "Daddy" over and over again.  First, here is an actual picture of my husband: (that's me in there too) This is Daddy #1. Yup, It's Ramses from "The Prince of Egypt." I can see the resemblance! If Ian had hair, he would certainly wear it in a ponytail with gold embellishments. The medallion around his neck is something he would wear too.  And he is always shirtless, especially when in a grueling horse race! This Daddy could beat up your daddy any day! Here is Daddy #2, from "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" This must be a different side of Daddy than Ramses portrays. This Daddy is pensive, with kind eyes. He is daydreaming about something wonderful (probably mommy) and always has something nice to say. I think this one looks a lot more like my husband! So because when we get to the end of this "Brown Bea

Dinner time???

So for once in my life, I was so excited to have a nice dinner ready by the time Ian got home. He told me he would be home at 5pm. I called him at 5:30 and found out he stopped somewhere to pick something up that he was looking for on craigslist. The following conversation happened: "Where are you?"  "Picking up that vcr/dvd player we talked about." "What?!?! WHY!!! DINNER HAS BEEN READY SINCE 5!" "Well, it is 5 mins away from work so I figured it would -make sense to just get it now."  "Ugh , well now dinner is cold"  "You guys can eat without me if you want"  "No. Are you kidding me? I did this for you! We aren't eating without you!" "Ok, so what do you want to do?" "What do you mean 'what do I want to do?' I JUST WANNA BE MAD ABOUT IT!!!" *I laugh because as I yelled that last part, I caught wind of my complete irrationality.*  "hahahaha, ok well you can do that. OR

I never thought I'd ever...

Me and Ian were talking about how much lives have changed since we had kids. Not only the way we spend our time together as a family, but also our mentalities. For example, I was talking to a friend of mine who either just got a tattoo or was thinking about getting another, or both. I can't remember. Anyway, I have been wanting to get a tattoo, so I asked her how much she thought a small one would cost. She said "oh, not that much! Maybe 60 bucks?" I immediately said "Oh, well that's 3 boxes of diapers, which is too much".  I realized then, that I convert the cost of pretty much everything to the amount of diapers I could get for the same price. haha! I never thought the biggest commodity in my life would be a jumbo box of Target brand diapers, or that this exchange rate would help curb my appetite for things that I want, but don't need to buy. An example would be a Nintendo Wii. I have wanted one for a couple of years now. But it costs like10 boxes