Skip to main content

Old Beginnings

     Well, I fought the urge to create a completely new blog and decided to update this trusty old dumping ground of musings and stories. I am not sure what this will end up being, if anything at all other than a fun website to look back on in a few years, before websites become obsolete altogether. The truth is, I really enjoy hearing the sound of my fingers tapping away at the computer keys. It makes me feel like I am doing something productive, even though I am not.

     Here I sit, at 11:40pm on a Tuesday night and I wonder what exactly tomorrow will bring. It's strange to be able to predict with almost complete accuracy the grand scheme of the day, but also not know what quirks lie ahead. For instance today, I knew that the kids would be going outside to play. I did not know that before bed my 4 year old would claim to have broken his leg while outside and beg me to carry him up the stairs to his room (which I did). I did know that we would start a new language arts curriculum with my almost 6 year old. I could not have predicted that he would love it so much that he would beg me to do another lesson before bed (which we did).
     I love that about having kids and being able to stay home and teach them. They make the mundane, interesting.

     I'm not sure of the exact year I stopped updating this blog but I have to believe things slowed down after I had Ethan, my 3rd boy in a little over 3 years. After I had him, things kind of went crazy over here a bit as I adjusted to 3 kids 3 and under, and started homeschooling the next year or so.
     Things look a bit different here now, but not too different. I now have 4 children. Anthony is 7, Luke is 5, Ethan is 4 and we just celebrated Samantha's first birthday. I am homeschooling Anthony and Luke (and Ethan depending on his mood haha), and we are all adjusting to the delight that is having a baby girl in the mix.

     The kids are doing great with their schooling and I am much more relaxed this year than I have been. I'm not sure if this is just the pace of our family's learning style or what but it rarely feels like we are sitting up straight and "doing school." I like that it is relaxed and comes naturally but sometimes I do wonder if we are "doing it right". As silly as I know that is, that insecurity creeps up now and then. Usually it pops up after I have seen some fancy blog with an awesome crafty mom, or even while comparing myself to families I know but are just different than us. It's silly, but true and I wonder if I will ever grow out of this and be truly confident in what we are doing. I wonder what it would take to really be comfortable. The boys love to read, and love to learn, and they really do enjoy our learning time together. There really isn't much more I could want out of our homeschooling experience so far, so I am really thankful.

     Anyway, I mentioned that after 3 little boys being the light of my life, we were all blessed with the sweetness of our little Sammi-girl. She is just the apple of everyone's eye, except for Ethan. He is warming to her slowly but she is still too unpredictable for him to fully trust. And she ripped his book, which is pretty much unforgivable in his world. He is very protective of her, though. He keeps her from danger however he can. Luke is the most protective of the 3. He is always watching whoever is interacting with her and making sure they are being gentle with her. He won't hesitate to speak up if he thinks she is getting scared or upset, no matter who it is. He lets her get in trouble. He will let her in to the bathroom to play and he will give her something he knows she shouldn't have just because she wants it. He is going to he her partner in crime. Anthony is protective as well, but in a more gentle way. He is always ALWAYS trying to make her laugh and always tells her how much he loves her. It is so sweet to see how they each have their own relationships with each other. Goodness gracious now I am rambling. The lull of the keyboard is so addictive!

Anyway, it's very late now and I should be getting to bed (teething baby though so I won't actually be getting any sleep). Here's to new beginnings, for an old friendship. Time will truly tell if this is a fresh old beginning. Cheers!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who's your Daddy?

Reading books with Anthony is always fun. He is becoming so hilarious. When we get to certain pictures he points and yells "Daddy" over and over again.  First, here is an actual picture of my husband: (that's me in there too) This is Daddy #1. Yup, It's Ramses from "The Prince of Egypt." I can see the resemblance! If Ian had hair, he would certainly wear it in a ponytail with gold embellishments. The medallion around his neck is something he would wear too.  And he is always shirtless, especially when in a grueling horse race! This Daddy could beat up your daddy any day! Here is Daddy #2, from "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" This must be a different side of Daddy than Ramses portrays. This Daddy is pensive, with kind eyes. He is daydreaming about something wonderful (probably mommy) and always has something nice to say. I think this one looks a lot more like my husband! So because when we get to the end of this "Brown Bea

Dinner time???

So for once in my life, I was so excited to have a nice dinner ready by the time Ian got home. He told me he would be home at 5pm. I called him at 5:30 and found out he stopped somewhere to pick something up that he was looking for on craigslist. The following conversation happened: "Where are you?"  "Picking up that vcr/dvd player we talked about." "What?!?! WHY!!! DINNER HAS BEEN READY SINCE 5!" "Well, it is 5 mins away from work so I figured it would -make sense to just get it now."  "Ugh , well now dinner is cold"  "You guys can eat without me if you want"  "No. Are you kidding me? I did this for you! We aren't eating without you!" "Ok, so what do you want to do?" "What do you mean 'what do I want to do?' I JUST WANNA BE MAD ABOUT IT!!!" *I laugh because as I yelled that last part, I caught wind of my complete irrationality.*  "hahahaha, ok well you can do that. OR

I never thought I'd ever...

Me and Ian were talking about how much lives have changed since we had kids. Not only the way we spend our time together as a family, but also our mentalities. For example, I was talking to a friend of mine who either just got a tattoo or was thinking about getting another, or both. I can't remember. Anyway, I have been wanting to get a tattoo, so I asked her how much she thought a small one would cost. She said "oh, not that much! Maybe 60 bucks?" I immediately said "Oh, well that's 3 boxes of diapers, which is too much".  I realized then, that I convert the cost of pretty much everything to the amount of diapers I could get for the same price. haha! I never thought the biggest commodity in my life would be a jumbo box of Target brand diapers, or that this exchange rate would help curb my appetite for things that I want, but don't need to buy. An example would be a Nintendo Wii. I have wanted one for a couple of years now. But it costs like10 boxes